Farmers Insurance Group (informally Farmers) is an American insurer group of vehicles, homes and small businesses and also provides other insurance and financial services products. Farmers Insurance has more than 48,000 exclusive and independent agents and approximately 21,000 employees. Farmers is the trade name for three reciprocal insurers, Farmers, Fire, and Truck owned by their policyholders. The non-claims activities of Farmers are managed by an attorney in fact, Farmers Group Inc, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zurich Insurance Group.
Products and services
Farmers’ products and services include:
- auto insurance
- home insurance, including homeowners, condominium and renters insurance, mobile and manufactured home insurance, specialty home insurance, including landlord and rental properties, seasonal homes, and vacation homes, and flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program
- motorcycle insurance
- life insurance, including term, whole and universal life insurance
- recreational insurance, such as insurance for boats, ATVs, RVs, and travel trailers
- business insurance for small and medium-sized businesses, such as liability and property insurance, commercial auto and workers compensation insurance for apartment and commercial property owners, artisan contractors, condominium homeowner associations, retail stores, service providers, offices, religious organizations, educational and non-profit organizations, hotels, motels, bed & breakfasts, and other businesses in the light manufacturing, restaurant, wholesale, and auto service & repair industries and
- financial services and products, such as mutual funds and variable annuities.
Types of farm insurance
Farm businesses usually combine personal and business insurance types, while farm cover combines a specific group of covers which can include the following:
- Home and contents: Home and contents insurance products cover loss , damage or theft occurring to the farm owner’s house as well to the contents of the farmer’s home
- Farm motor: Similar to motor vehicle insurance, but covers additional risks that you might be exposed to if you work on a farm
- Farm machinery: Covers machinery such as tractors and associated equipment that is used in farming. You might lease your farm machinery, in which case insurance is a mandatory part of the lease agreement, or it may be owned
- Farm liability insurance: This is a specialised product and you should make sure you choose an insurance company that understands the additional risks involved in your farm business, so you can be sure your cover is sufficient
- Livestock, fencing and hay insurance: Will protect your farm animals and produce from accidental injury, theft, damage, severe weather events and other mishaps, depending on the policy’s exclusions
- Farm loss of income and business interruption insurance: Compensation if accidental damage
Other types of insurance cover under this category include personal accident and injury insurance, goods in transit insurance, workers compensation insurance if your farm business has employees, and public liability insurance.